Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Fashion for All Ages: A Casual Look That Works For Any Age

Dressing casual can some times be harder than dressing up. It's sometimes tough to be comfortable and casual and not look frumpy or like a hot mess. However, it is definitely not impossible. The set I put together below is proof of this. Every piece is easy and comfortable and absolutely fantastic. This look is perfect for fall (or winter in California) or you can lose the sweater and it's great for spring. Every piece is practical and mixable with other outfits. Flexibility is the key to usable casual wear. You want to be able to do everything you need to do that day in the same outfit (if possible!). This outfit is perfect for school, running errands, picking up kids, volunteering in your kids classroom, lunch with friends or loved ones, or whatever else your life has to offer.

Casual Look For Any Age

1). Tops: I really really really like striped t-shirts. Really. They are genius. They are an incredibly easy way to spice up a normally boring t-shirt. I also love vibrant colors like orange because they add a great pop of color and surprisingly enough this color orange goes beautifully with so many different colors. I love it with the dark wash jeans, the olive-y green of the watch and bag, and the grey sneakers. They are all pretty neutral fall colors but they can transfer to spring and summer as well.

Now, I'm sure some of you saw that shirt and immediately thought "horizontal stripes?! I thought that was a no-no?!" Well, it's not a hard and fast no. You want to avoid horizontal strips over places like your hips and butt if that's where you are heavier, but a thinner stripe like this shirt isn't going to make you look wider. It actually distracts from whatever you've got going on in your tummy region as long as it's not tight. I love this style t-shirt that is narrower at the top and in the sleeve but flows out from there just the right amount to skim right over any belly bulge you might have.  Also, 3/4 sleeves are great for fall and spring because they are a great in between length if you don't want to commit to a full length or short sleeve shirt. They are especially great when they are a thinner material like this one because they can be easily layered in the fall but they won't be too warm in the spring.

I am in love with this chunky cable knit sweater. Did you notice the buckles at the waist?! I love this sweater because it's warm but it doesn't cause you to lose all your shape since it cinches in at the waist. Also, you won't have to constantly be messing with it because it closes and is adjustable to your waist size.

2). Pants: Casual jeans are easily adjustable based on your age and body type. Just promise me you will keep them in a dark wash! These are a straight leg jean from Target. I really like the straight leg look because it keeps your bottom half narrower as long as they fit right and also allows you to wear sneakers or flats without dragging the hem of your trouser jeans on the ground and stepping all over them. Straight jeans that hit right at the base of your ankle or right at the bridge of your foot are great for any age, just adjust the fit (i.e. looser or tighter) and where the waistband hits based on your age and body type (go higher waisted if you are well endowed in your butt or if you are over 40... not mom jeans status, but just not low riding).

3). Accessories: The accessories on this outfit on purposefully simple. The casual watch and cross-body bag tie together the orange with the olive green, also they are practical. Watches are a great accessory. They aren't just for telling time anymore! You can buy watches in so many different styles and colors and they are pretty cheap for the most part. Don't spend a lot of money on something like that because chances are you won't wear it everyday or for very long. The less money you spend on a watch the less you will care if it breaks or you don't wear it all the time. Also, you can buy a few different styles and colors and have a different look depending on your mood. I don't think any of you who read my blog are at all surprised that I love oversized sunglasses, but I just in case you didn't know, I love oversized sunglasses. I know, I know, they aren't perfect for everyone's face shapes, but I still love them. These are from Kohls. I know some people don't like sunglasses, but I think they are a fantastic fashion accessory as well as keeping you from squinting all the time and getting a headache. Wear them. Love them.

4). Shoes: I really liked the idea of putting a smaller sneaker with this look because they are comfortable but not bulky like normal tennis shoes. You'd be fine wearing these almost anywhere. I love grey. It's a great neutral and looks great with deeper fall colors as well as more vibrant springy colors. These sneakers are Rocket Dogs. I own a pair of bright mustard yellow rocket dogs as well as a pair of blue and green plaid rocket dogs and they are incredibly comfortable. If you wanted to go a little bit more dressy or delicate you could always wear grey, brown, or tan flats with this too. If you are really bold like me you could always rock an orange flat that matches the stripes in the shirt.

I hope this inspires you to look at what you own that can replicate this outfit, and that it helps you see just how simple this is. If you need help, contact me! I'd love to help you!

No comments:

Post a Comment