Sunday, March 18, 2012

Summer Blues

I love spring and summer. Love them. Although, I gotta be honest with you... I love every season. I love them all for different reasons, and by the end of each season I am stoked for the next one. Usually about a month before the season actually changes I am thinking about what great outfits I get to wear because of the different weather. The flip side of this love for seasons is that I get very upset when it's 90 degrees in January and 50 degrees in June. It is just wrong. Anyway, all that to say I love spring and summer.

I also love blue. It is refreshing and energizing and pretty. I especially love blue with white and yellow. Hence...

Summer Blues

I put this outfit together by thinking about what kind of outfits I would want to wear if I got to spend a weekend at the beach. When I think light, comfortable beach wear I think light flowy fabrics like linen. The light blue tank I have here is from J-Crew and it's linen. I love the pin tucks on the top because it makes it narrow up top and then flares out from right below the bra-line. The other shirt I have here would be great for the evening when it gets a little cooler, just be sure to put a white tank or something underneath it.

I know white is not easy to wear, but I love these J-Crew white shorts. They are a thicker fabric so they won't be see through, but the still stick with the bright and light theme of this outfit. Make sure that you buy shorts according to how they look on you and not what size the tag says. I know it's tough to get away from the number, but believe me, with shorts you have to. Designers all make their clothes differently and you can't just grab a pair of shorts that are "your size" and leave the store without trying them on. Shorts can be incredibly difficult to find the right fit, so you need to gear yourself up for trying on a bunch of different pairs before you find the one you like. Make sure they are not too short or too tight or you will run into the "ride up" issue when you walk and that's no fun. Lastly, no matter how thick the fabric in your white shorts, wear neutral colored underwear! Nobody needs to see how cute your floral underwear are.

Ok, onto the accessories for this outfit. I LOVE BIG FLOPPY HATS!!! Ok sorry about that. So here's the thing, I love big floppy hats but I have a big giant head so I can pretty much never find one that fits. Sad right? But, I have not given up. I will find one. They look awesome and they protect your face and shoulders from the sun. It's no surprise I'm sure that I have aviators on here. I like them. You could definitely pair this outfit with some oversized sunglasses as well if you're not into aviators. I threw in the scarf just because it just adds a special little flare to your outfit for the evening if you're going out to dinner or for an evening walk. Make sure it's a very thin light fabric. To keep things easy I just paired the outfit with yellow rubber flip flops from Old Navy. They are cheap and come in all kinds of colors. I love the yellow with the blue. The belt is here simply because I am constantly pulling up my pants, so it's kind of a reminder for me to go buy a belt. Also, it's cute!

The bottom line is when you are putting together summer or spring outfits (especially for the beach), keep it light and keep it simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment