Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Wedding Bliss: Speaking Out For Groomsmen Everywhere

The title of this post might be a little misleading. It's not just about groomsmen, although I do them a huge favor. Really, it's about styling your wedding in a way that reflects you as a couple and that makes sense with your venue and date. But seriously, at the end I do help the guys out. 

I've been thinking about a job lately that I think would be pure awesome. Wedding stylist. Not wedding planner, not wedding consultant, but stylist. The job would be to meet with brides and help them create  their vision for their big day, but I wouldn't have to deal with the crazy of the actual day (awesome right?!). The goal is for everything about their wedding day to represent the couple, and works together to create their perfectly "them" wedding day.

This is something I did with my brides when I was a bridal consultant, and something my fiance and I are doing now. It's important to ask questions so that you can get an idea of what look you are envisioning in your head and then move toward that vision in your planning. Unfortunately, a lot of brides don't quite get that if they are doing an outdoor wedding in July then they should probably move away from the giant ballgown with the 8 foot train that weighs 75 pounds (if we're lucky) and the black formal tuxes for the guys. There is only so much a bridal consultant or wedding consultant can do to sway them toward picking a dress and bridal party attire that not only fits their personality but fits their venue and wedding date.

If you're getting married in the summer (especially in Southern California), why not give your groomsmen the gift of not suffering from heatstroke? It's really the best present you could give them. Put them in a lighter material and color and Ta-dah! You no longer have red-faced, sweaty groomsmen in your pictures for the rest of your life. Also, they will still be your friend. I always feel bad for the guys. The girls get to wear little summer dresses while the guys take one for the team in heavy polyester blends.

This is summery perfection:


Apart from the fact that his suit doesn't fit very well, this is appropriate for an outdoor summer wedding. Heck, I'd even adios the jacket and let the guys wear vests and fun shirts instead.

P.S. I'm in love with this dress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment