Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Fashion For All Ages: The College Challenge

College is a fantastic time for clothes, but with all the busyness and lack of sleep fashion is often the first thing thrown out the window (closely followed by your Chemistry textbook). Let's face it, if you feel like you have to choose between forty-five extra minutes of sleep and making yourself look like you haven't spent the last three nights in the library, we'd all go with the extra sleep. However, getting dressed (and dressed well) does not necessarily mean you have to give yourself more than fifteen minutes to get ready. I managed to get through all four years of college without wearing my pajamas to my 8:00 AM class and I promise you can too. In fact, I'm challenging you to! I promise you that you will feel better about making it through classes and projects (and finals) when you feel good about how you look. Girls, take a few extra minutes, put some real pants on, throw some easy but cute accessories on, and at least some mascara, and try and tell me that your day wasn't at least a little bit better. Guys, just please stop wearing pajamas. Please. You have it easy enough since you can just throw on jeans and a shirt and head out the door. Do us all a favor and save the pajama pants for the privacy of your dorm room.

Here's a little glimpse into how easy it is to look casual, comfortable, and put together at the same time:

College



This isn't to scary is it? This is a great look for Fall. The simple beauty of this look is that you look stylish and put together without having to think to hard. The key is to only wear one statement piece. The plaid shirt is easy and casual but it adds a pop of color and style. Keep your jeans dark and comfortable. Not to tight, not to loose. A straight or boot cut leg is great with this look because it isn't quite as trendy as a skinny jean and also takes less effort to put on. I love these grey Toms (for those of you who don't know, that is a brand name) because they are super comfy and super neutral. I have green ones and I absolutely love them. The light grey scarf is a great weight for a brisk fall day or early spring (or winter too in California). It adds some fun and makes you look like you put tons of thought into this outfit while also keeping you a little warmer. I love the aviators and the brown leather bag. They are easy and classic and go with almost anything. Investing in a great bag like this for college is totally worth it. It looks so much better than a backpack and will keep you from piling too much in your bag and hurting yourself. Make sure you switch shoulders every once and awhile or you'll regret it... I promise. If you live in a place that is a little colder in the fall than Southern California you can always throw on a brown faux leather jacket (a bomber jacket would look awesome) if you need the extra warmth. 

So, are any of my college readers willing to take my challenge and stop wearing their sweats and pajamas to class? I promise you that you can put this all together and look awesome in about 15 minutes. Give me some feedback and let me know if you take the challenge! This semester might be almost over, but there is always the Spring. If you want to start now you can always take the challenge during finals. If you decide to do it let me know and keep me posted on how you do and what fun things you come up with. If you do it you might just get your own feature! 

Ok, go have fun, dress well, feel good, and stay strong through the rest of the semester. You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment